The party sets out for Winterhaven in continued pursuit of the Goblins who have the Prince, and also to find the skull of Szartharrax’s mother before the dragon decides to go back on the deal and attack them again.
On the road they are ambushed by Kobolds, but defeat them. They hear the name Irontooth mentioned with fear by one of the Kobolds.
In Winterhaven, their letter from Lord Markelhay gains them access to the town and to Lord Padraig. Various individuals are met in the Market, in the Temple, and at Padraig’s Manor, and the following information is discovered:
- Guards at the town gate (Bob and Patrick): Learn that there is a threat to travelers heading north and that many farms in the area have been raided by Goblins.
- Delphinia Moongem (flower girl in the market): She has seen Goblins and Kobolds in the forest and up at the old keep where she goes to pick flowers to sell. She directs the party to Salvana Wrafton, the local innkeeper, for information about Douven Stahl. She agrees to show the party where the Goblins are, and where the dragon graveyard is.
- Lord Padraig: Offers the resources of the town and grants free passage into the town while the party works in the area.
- Sister Linora (of the Temple of Avandra): Knows nothing of Douven, Goblins, or Kalarel. She tells the party that if there was someone involved in death cults, she would know about it.
In Wrafton’s Inn, more people are met:
- Salvana Wrafton: She allows the party to set up a base in one of her suites. She says that Douven also used the Inn as a base of operation, but he has not been seen for many days. She warns the party to stay away from the keep in the north as it is haunted and full of vampires. She says that business has been bad since Goblins have invaded the forest. She warns the party to stay away from the waterfalls.
- Eilian the Old: A crazy old storyteller and farmer confirms that Goblins are attacking farms and stealing livestock and feed. He points the party to Valthrun the Prescient for information about the old keep in the north, which he warns is haunted by ghosts and vampires. He warns to stay away from the waterfalls.
- Valthrun the Prescient: The local wizard. He gives some historical information about the keep. It was built by the Nerath Empire hundreds of years ago to watch for evil invaders from the north. It has been in ruins for centuries. He thinks it is now overrun by Goblins. He promises to do more research about it and fill in the party on what he learns. He denies that someone named Kalarel has set up a death cult in the keep.
- Ninaran: An Elven hunter who moved to Winterhaven a few years ago, attracted by the quiet small town life and the safety of the town walls at night. After the party gains her trust, she warns them that more and more town folk seem to be under the control of some sort of cult. She has witnessed cult members coming and going from a waterfall in the woods not far from town where some Kobolds appear to have set up a hideout. She tells the adventurers where the waterfall is, but declines to accompany them for fear of her life and home if the cult members find her in league with the party.